Monday, August 22, 2011

Are You Listening?

The first half of this year has been a busy one. Preparing for the National Baptist Congress of Christian Education, attending the District and State Conventions, teaching the Union District’s COPP specialized course, along with other responsibilities has taken its toll on me. And I find myself guilty of what I used to accuse my children of and that is “Not Listening.” You see, I used to give my children specific commands to do something and it was as if I had said nothing. For example, I would tell my boys to get up from watching television and take out the trash. And they would continue watching as if I had said nothing. So in my frustration, I would accuse them of not listening. Oh, yes, they heard the command but it was obvious they weren’t listening because if they had been they would have immediately complied. After all, I was supplying them with everything they needed, so why wouldn’t they comply.

Like so, it is important for us to understand the spirit behind the commandments of the Bible. When the Old Testament urges us to “obey” God, the first meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words is often “to listen” or “to give attention to.” For instance, the Hebrew word that frequently shows up as “obey” in the English Bible is translated “hear” as in the famous Shema where he says, “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.” (Deut. 6:4)

In the New Testament, the Greek word translated “obey” means to be persuaded. According to Vine’s Dictionary, the emphasis is not on submission to authority, but on action resulting from being convinced by reason and truth. That is, letting ourselves be persuaded by the truth is the idea of the author of Hebrews in communication when he says, “Obey those who rule over you, and be submission, for they watch out for your soul.” (Heb. 13:17)

Would it make a difference if, instead of saying “Obey me,” Jesus said, “Listen to me.” “I want your attention; I don’t just want your compliance; I want you to do it willingly because you love me and I love you.” For example, picture the husband and wife who keep talking at each other with growing frustration. He says to her, “Just tell me what you want me to do and I’ll do it. Be specific. Don’t make me keep guessing about what you want.” And her response is, “I’ve already told you and obviously, you weren’t listening. Plus, I don’t want you complying because I told you. I want you to do it because you want to.”

That’s the kind of talk that drives some of us crazy. But it is sometimes needed. Even God Himself doesn’t tell us exactly how to show our patience, self-control, and love for Him in the specific moments of our lives. He shows us how much He loves us, gives us principles, and then asks us to respond to His heart with our own.

So what would a life of listening look like? What can we do to hear more rather than less of God? Do we need to ask Him to help us hear more? Often we should stop talking long enough to hear Him whisper, “Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10) We would do better. What if, while trying to get His help and favor, we began to listen, really listen, to one another, to our spiritual and political enemies, and even to our own hearts? It would be more likely to hear Jesus saying, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me”. (John 10:27)

This kind of following is so different from being forced to keep a demand. When we listen carefully to His voice in Scripture, we don’t hear someone consumed by authority and control. Instead, we hear a love that says, “Come to me, all ye who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. My yoke is easy and my burdens are light”. (Matt. 11:28-30)

Even though Jesus has every right to demand our immediate obedience, He approaches us gently, appealing not only to our will but to our minds and hearts. He is still saying to His stubborn and distracted children, “Behold I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me”. (Rev. 3:20)

Are you listening?